This morning I attended a community event for work. A women's expo entitled "A New Year, A New You" sponsored by a local women's ministry in Owensboro. I was actually not super excited about it, mainly because I had to arrive before 8am to get things set up before the public was welcomed at 9am....selfishly (do we see a theme here?), I just wanted to sleep in on my Saturday but with my new position at work, it is extremely important for me to make Girl Scouts visible in the community. So, grumpily, I was on my way.
When I arrived, I noticed that I my table was next to a local writer but, like I said, I was not too interested. As the day went on, I heard her engaged in conversation with many of the women at the event, her book (co-written with her husband) is about dealing with the struggles of life, through laughter. How funny?! I heard her tell several women that her son has autism, but the book isn't a "how to deal with autism" or "all about autism" book, it's mainly about how to take what life gives you and run with it.
What a simple concept that we so often lose sight of. I'm probably more guilty than many people when it comes to grumbling about this or that, even when I know the grumbling will not get me anywhere (and usually does nothing to improve my situation!). For example, my fabulous husband and I work opposite shifts, so we rarely get to spend quality time together. I leave for work at 7:30am and he's asleep, he leaves for work at 3pm and I'm at work, I get home around 6 and he's at work and he gets home at 3:30am and I'm asleep. It's a great arrangement :) The simple truth is, I miss him. But for now, there is nothing we can do to change it, so my pity party will not help the situation (sometimes I am convinced that it makes me feel better, but I know that's not the truth).
The expo really put something into perspective for me, although, that isn't the reason I attended. Isn't it funny how God can use something totally unexpected to teach you a lesson? I'm not big on resolutions because I think that everyone should continuously work to make improvements in their lives so my commitment for the year is to rid myself of the grumbling. To try to see the best in every situation, in every person, every day. Because, isn't that what God wants from us? To become a more positive person at home and at work and more pleasant for others to interact with. I always tell my Girl Scouts that dealing with a situation is much easier when you are using a positive perspective, so now I guess it's time to practice what I preach (more consistently). I was really inspired by my expo neighbor, I think I may even purchase her book, listening to her share stories from it was pretty entertaining. I'm sure it will be a great read!
Simply put, I'm inspired.
No comments:
Post a Comment